Writer / Editor / Public Speaker/ Teacher
Philip Ivory lives in Tucson, Ariz. He studied literature at Columbia University and works as a professional writer/communications specialist. He writes fiction and is working on a novel. He is assistant director of the Writers Studio Tucson and teaches on the intermediate level.
- “Miss Brompton Falls 1938,” short story in the fall 2018 edition of Menacing Hedge
- “Keep Me Company,” short story published Oct 2018 in Oklahoma Pagan Quarterly.
- “Dr. Marsh’s Final House Call,” short story published Sept 2018 in Two Cities Review.
- “Apparition on the Threshold,” flash fiction published May 2018 in Ghost Parachute.
- “How We Cured Racism,” short story published Dec 2017 in Rosette Maleficarum.
- “The Daytime People,” flash fiction published May 2017 in Edify Fiction.
- “Probably Last Meeting of Bluebell Ridge II Homeowners Association,” flash fiction published March 2017 in The Airgonaut.
- “Most Of Us Are From Someplace Else,” short story published July 2016 in Literally Stories.
- “On Hyacinth Mountain,” short story published in May 2016 issue of
- “The Yellow Man,” novelette published in issue 669 of Bewildering Stories.
- “The Dead Outnumber the Living,” flash fiction published in Issue 15 of Dali’s Lovechild (no longer available online).
“Probably Last Meeting of Bluebell Ridge II Homeowners Association” anthologized in The Writers Studio at 30: Fiction and Poetry from the First 30 Years of the Landmark School of Creative Writing and Thinking.
- 3rd Place Winner for Oklahoma Pagan Quarterly’s Spooky Samhain 2018 Contest for “Keep Me Company”
- 2018 Pushcart Prize nominated fiction writer.
- 2017 Pushcart Prize nominated fiction writer.
- Recipient of the 2016 Mariner Awards for novelette “The Yellow Man.”
- Winner of the 2015 Writers Studio “Write to Read” Contest for short story “Most Of Us Are From Someplace Else.”
- Interviewed in 2016 by The Writers Lens.
- BA in English Language and Literature from Columbia University
- Currently teaching creative writing on the Intermediate level at Writers Studio Tucson
- Fulfilled junior year abroad program studying literature at Cambridge University, UK
“Phil, thank you for your detailed feedback on my novel manuscript. I have now gone through your written remarks carefully and I have to say, you are the most thoughtful reader I’ve encountered in a long time. You track very closely. Your story instincts are unerringly targeted. Some of your comments will be easy fixes, nevertheless providing important improvements. Others, I’ll have to ponder. In every case, you have forced me to raise my game. This is exactly what fellow writers can do for each other, and I am grateful.”
Bill Adams, Ph.D.
Philip is a freelance marketing and communications specialist, who has done extensive work for charitable causes including the Muscular Dystrophy Association. He has experience writing a wide array of materials ranging from feature magazine articles to company annual reports to video scripts. He serves on the board of the Biodiversity Group and supports the organization’s communications outreach efforts.
Professionally published writing samples:
- FEATURE ARTICLE: ENT in the Desert 2018
- FEATURE ARTICLE: Follow the Biomarkers
- FEATURE ARTICLE: Progress Makers
- ANNUAL REPORT: MDA 2014 Annual Report